Done to a Tea

This week has consisted mainly of tea.

Since being at home a lot more, I have certainly consumed a higher volume of what my mum calls 'The Cup That Cheers'. I know you'd all like to think I sip it from bone china teacups and saucers, but actually I gulp it from a pint mug. With Wonder Woman on it. How terribly classy!

But I do have some bone china! And my first tea-related task was to make some of that delicious brew, put it in a lovely teacup, and take a picture of it for the forthcoming Roaring For Teas website, which I have been working on. I hope to have it finished for next week, so do check back then to see what it's all about.



Next up, on Wednesday night, I headed to the 1920s themed Betty Blythe Fine Food Pantry in West London, to give my first ever talk, this time for the monthly Betty Blythe Society meeting. The Society evening is a sort of fun, WI style event, where one can learn cake decorating, jam making, etiquette... everything one needs to be a lady of class. ;)

Betty Blythe is a vintage-lover's (not to mention tea-drinker's) heaven. Beautiful, white painted antique furniture, delicious home-made cakes, the finest tea served in stunning vintage crockery. The fridge and shelves are heaving with locally sourced, organic produce, the bread is fresh every day, the air inside scented with lilies and the bundles of fresh herbs owner Lulu sells to her loyal patrons. It's simply the most marvellous place to take tea, if you're in the area... and if you're not, then take a trip out west to visit!

My evening there began with chatting to the guests as they arrived, drank tea and decorated cupcakes, then we all went downstairs where I gave my talk. I was so nervous! It was a humorous guide to vintage style and how to adapt your taste to your figure delivered in a my poshest phone voice - I called it 'Fleur de Guerre's Guide to Modern Vintage Sartorial Etiquette'! The attendees were a group of ladies who work for Qype, and by all accounts they really enjoyed their evening. Do have a quick read of this review by Qype blogger Rachelle. There will be many more of these Betty Blythe Society talks, probably on the first Wednesday of every month.


BB owner Lulu gets buttercreaming!

One of the highlights for me, though, was meeting Fiona of Notorious Kitsch, a smashing lady I've conversed with online a lot, but never actually met before. I just love meeting fabulous online friends!

Then yesterday, I had the honour of meeting one more totally fabulous lady - Angel Adoree of Vintage Patisserie, another 1920s themed, tea-based venture. Vintage Patisserie do fabulous tea parties, whereby period perfect waitresses bring Afternoon Tea to you, serve it on vintage crockery and take it away afterwards. They also bring a 1920s dress-up trunk for guests to have fun with. Angel had been asked by Oasis clothing store in Oxford Circus to get involved with 'Fashion's Night Out' in association with Vogue, and London Fashion Week. So, next Thursday, I am part of a team of 7 glamorous ladies putting on a huge 'Fashionably Late' soiree in Oasis Oxford Circus. There will be drinks, music, beauty treatments, tea and cake (of course), plus the basement is being transformed into a cinema and showing 'The September Issue'. I am being an usherette in the cinema! Do come, if you can! I'm very excited as all sorts of top fashion people will be there, and not only that, but if I hadn't been made redundant, I would not have been able to do it. Talk about synchronicity! Or should that be synchronici-Tea?

And following that appalling segue, to top off a week of tea and indeed terrible, tea-related puns, this Saturday is my Scandalous High Socie-Tea evening, which you all know lots about so I shan't mention it again, except to say that if you don't know about it, have a look at the site. I am all ready, I'm armed with clipboards and pens, vases and flowers. My car has a tree in it ready to haul to Shoreditch to grace the bar, and it's all going to be simply super!

To collect said tree, I went to meet my dear mother at the Royal Horticultural Society Gardens at Wisley for a walk and a chat, but no tea, funnily enough! She took some outfit shots of me, just to make this post a bit more colourful!


Mum claims she can't use a camera, I think she did very well! I'm wearing red trousers from Heyday (not unlike those worn by Miss Amanda the other day, but hers were Vivien of Holloway). Forgive the creasing, from driving and lunch! The cardi is another knitted from a vintage pattern. I'm wearing a stripey tshirt from H&M which you can't see, and shoes from Payless in the States. Red, white and blue accessories completed the look!

Better go and get a good night's sleep ready for the party tomorrow! Yay!

Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment