Commemorating Comic-Con

It's now been four years since the last time I went to Comic-Con in San Diego. The last time I was there, with my now-ex, artist and writer Jamie McKelvie, we woke up one morning the week before, to the 07/07/05 London bombings all over the news and a deluge of emails from worried friends who didn't know we'd gone away. But exceptional events aside, I always enjoyed my visits, even when stuck minding Jamie's table at the Image booth, I never had a dull moment. There was always so much to see: from people dressed in amazing, rubbish, or downright ridiculous costumes; people fatter than anyone I'd ever seen before; people with worrying skin complaints and body odour, that you knew never emerged but once a year to attend Con; famous people and more. But it seems unlikely that I will ever go back now; though Jamie and are are still great friends, the fact remains that flying to California in mid-July is about the most expensive possible time ever, and having no direct connection to the comics (or film) world means that I just have no reason to spend such crazy money on the trip. I'd probably rather spend a cheap week relaxing somewhere warm, that doesn't smell of nerd-sweat, if I'm really honest.

But my two years there were a lot of fun, and I have some great memories. I was a 'staff member' of Oni Press one year, and Image Comics the next. I met my hero Bruce Campbell one year, and got my books signed by him. I met Dita! I met Steampunks, robots and superheroes. I even met a grown man dressed as Pikachu. And I bought my very first ever, ever vintage dress on a visit to one of SD's vintage clothing stores. So, in honour of not being at SDCC this weekend, I thought I would wear it!


Taken by my obliging chap!

The frock itself is a late 40s, home-sewn cotton sundress, with a side zip and its original belt, which ties in a bow at the back. The skirt has little triangular inserts at the bottom to make it kick out slightly. The print features large pink, purple and yellow flowers, green leaves, and now sadly faded gold accents on a light cream background. Here's a closeup of the fabric:


The cream in the main picture is more accurate,
someone (me) didn't adjust the white balance correctly!


>
I paired it with these beige, 40s-inspired, cork-soled platforms,
from the Jones Bootmakers sale, where they are still available for £29.
Don't mind my blotchy, 'orrible legs!



My earrings are shell screwback ones, which again,
by happy coincidence, seem to match my outfit perfectly
!

My hair was similar to that of my last outfit post, but instead of my two usual victory rolls, I decided to do three! I didn't get a very clear shot (the chap got bored quickly) so you'll have to use your imaginations!


The nail varnish doesn't match very well - it did on Friday though!
It's OPI 'Give Me A Coral Sometime'.


I have a bit of farmer tan action going on, I see!
Lipstick is MAC Ruby Woo.


And finally, for a bit of fun, here I am with my new car!


I am just pulling your collective legs of course, as if I could ever afford an Aston Martin! This is my chap's V8 Vantage, which has a custom, lipstick-red leather interior. Very snazzy indeed.

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday. I have a few special posts lined up for this week, so do keep checking back, won't you?

Bye for now!

Fleur xx

PS. You may all be interested to know that I have now bought, through Blogger, the custom domain http://www.diaryofavintagegirl.com, to which this blog will be automatically converted over the next few days. As it's not actually going anywhere, there's no pressing need for any of my followers or subscribers to change to this new URL in your readers or blog rolls, or indeed do anything at all, but do feel free to update them if you so wish. For a while, I was tossing around the idea of moving it to my main site as a subdomain, and switching to Wordpress, but ultimately, Google looks after its own, and this way my blog is more likely to be found by search engines. Here's to new beginnings!

Edit: It appears all those things change automatically too! Hurrah. Carry on...!

0 comments:

Post a Comment