The Ikea effect

This month, I have been suffering from what I like to call the Ikea Effect. You know how, if you take a trip to Ikea to get a new bookshelf and maybe a bath mat or a curtain wire, and you get to the warehouse part, having had no help from the monosyllabic employees, following 47 arguments with your partner, with a blinding headache and severe dehydration, only to discover that they don't have what you came in for at all. So you go to the till with your aloe vera plant and your bag of scented tealights (because you've forgotten about the other 3 unopened bags you already have at home) and a few 'essential' kitchen implements that you're going to get because they're only a quid each, only to find once it's been rung up that you've inexplicably spent over £100.

Headaches, arguments and frustration aside, what I mean by the Ikea Effect is the buying of 'only a few' cheap items, only to find out that they've added up to a much larger amount. And that has described my buying habits this month. Determined to save some money rather than spending, I put much smaller-than-usual bids on things I quite fancied, and to my amazement, I have won most of them! And therefore have managed to spend almost exactly the same as usual, perhaps even slightly more. Gulp! But things are going for a lot less than they used to at the moment, regrettably for sellers. Here's a quick and dirty collage I did of my latest buys:



I managed to win the yellow bakelite earrings, and I really wanted a bangle to go with them. Not expecting to win either of the bangles I put in low bids and won them for $14 each!! Even if they turn out to be fake (and I don't think they are as the sellers are seemingly reliable and experienced) and even if none of them match very well (you can never tell from photos), then I still think that is very cheap. The red bakelite earrings were a little bit more, but I wanted some red ones for ages, and they were still hardly a fortune!

Then I managed to win two Swirls (left and right, the right being deadstock) and a gorgeous cotton dressing gown with peplum, and not one was over $30. Plus I won a green pinafore dress, which is not pictured as the seller removed the pics, for the princely sum of $12. The dressing gown is particularly special, and nice and long!



I do feel bad that they are going for these low prices, but what can I do but give these gorgeous things loving homes?

Have you snagged any bargains recently? And I don't mean from Ikea!

Your (self-inflicted) impoverished friend,

Fleur xx

PS. Inspiration for this blog was brought to you by (and in fact, nicked wholesale from) discussing Ikea trips with my witty friends over at Vintage Schmintage, an irreverent new forum that has been started for people who love vintage style, but have a modern streak a mile wide.

PPS. Did you watch my hair tutorial yet? ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment