All new weddings-a-go-go

Well, following my epic 8 (I think ... I lost count) weddings last year, the new year of nuptials has begun in earnest with me attending no less than two last weekend. I think it's just that I am 'that age', with my girlfriends from my college and university days all marrying the partners they've been with for 4, 5 or 6 years. I find all the weddings I attend very emotional for several reasons. It's wonderful to see my friends so happy, with men who clearly love them dearly (the groom on Friday was trying, and mostly failing, to contain his emotion during the ceremony and the speeches, it was adorable. *sniff* ) but it's also hard to see so many leaving their earlier lives behind and entering this new stage; I can't help but feel slightly bereft. But the joy far outweighs any other feelings, not to mention the tasty grub and free-flowing booze that invariably accompanies such events! And of course, I get to dress up!

I went with a black, white and red theme on the Friday, not too much of any one of those colours (which, as we know, can be frowned on at a wedding. Not so much these days of course!)

I wore a dress dating from 1946 with an early 40s red jacket over the top (I wore a red pashmina wrap thingy when inside), complete with red bakelite cherries brooch and red Rocket Originals wedges and nude seamed stockings. I did take a full-length shot and have cleverly forgotten to upload it to Flickr, so I will update this post when I have done so. But you can see my whole dress in this shot of the Bride and Groom... in which I was caught unawares!

I was wearing matching red bakelite screw-back earrings when the day started, but an over-effusive cheek kiss with an old friend caused one to break apart and almost fly into my glass of bubbly! Well actually, it was orange juice since I was driving. Luckily I had another pair in my handbag. Always prepared for vintage mishaps, me! Haha.


The second wedding, I wore the same jacket, shoes, and in fact hair, but wore a light turquoise vintage blouse and cream trousers. Hopefully some pictures will emerge, but I've not seen any yet. You'll have to use your imaginations!

I've bought a couple of new vintage dresses recently, both by my absolutely favourite brand, Swirl. If you have never heard of Swirls, have a read of this very informative article by the VFG's Fuzzy Lizzie about them. I now have 5 including the two on their way to me. The first of the two is pink and looks similar to the pink gingham one in the article, except solid. Sadly the seller has deleted the pics already so I can't show you. However it was a super bargain due to it being slightly discoloured, hopefully nothing a soak in Oxy Clean won't fix. The second is this one:


I love the autumnal colours! I think I will wear it with a new pair of wedges from Rocket Originals that I have my eye on. The Connie in green:

The green isn't a perfect match onscreen, but the reality might be different. We shall see. What do you think?

I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Fleur xx

PS. Don't forget this Saturday is the next instalment of the fantastic Blitz Party. I wish I could make it, but if you go, let me know how it was! F

0 comments:

Post a Comment