Vintage London: The Tea House Theatre

Well... I was on a roll for a while there, wasn't I? And then it seems inspiration and motivation temporarily deserted me!

I do have so much to post about and barely a minute in the day to do so. But as it's Friday afternoon and I want to write about lovely things, let me tell you about a lovely and very vintage place for London dwellers and visitors to go and check out. The Tea House Theatre in Vauxhall.

This wonderful venue in South London is owned by a couple who are friends of mine, through the New Sheridan Club. It is, as the name implies, a place to take tea, and a place that puts on shows - both theatrical and poetry. It also has knitting clubs, mothers' meetings, weddings, and film nights. It used to be a very seedy strip pub, the kind where you put a pound in a pint glass - painted bright orange and sitting gaudily in the middle of the old Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens.

It was up for sale, and as Harry and Grace Iggulden were buying it, the landlady was murdered while in the Caribbean... apparently by a jealous ex-lover! All very scandalous and somehow quite exciting.

Fast-forward a couple of years and it's transformed. I've written about it before as I went to the street party they did for the Royal Wedding in 2011, during which I judged the cake competition. And later the same year I went with Bethan to the NSC's summer party, with its British Seaside theme. But I was recently there for the first time in ages for the inaugural Retro Runners LDN (more on this later) meet up, and I took some photos of their wonderful cakes. I thought it was only fair I told you all about them.









These cakes are everything that cupcakes are not! I personally have tried both the carrot (carrot is a vegetable and therefore it is good for you), and the Victoria sponge and both were as good as any I've had. I don't know who makes them but they deserve a medal.

Grace also makes some exquisite birthday cakes herself. Just look!




I have nothing more to add to this post except that you should go and check out the Tea House Theatre and try some of their food and drink, it looks even more lovely and homely in the daylight, with vintage knicknacks and furniture dotted around the place. If you're looking for a friendly place to take afternoon tea south of the river, this is it!

Or have you already been?

Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment