Feminine Florals

I am unashamedly feminine, as if you didn't know already. I adore anything floral, flounced, ruffled, and downright girly, and, coming from someone who spent the best part of a decade in baggy jeans, boys' skate shoes and hoodies, this is saying something. And I'm tall - taller than the average man. As a teenager with a flat chest, huge feet and gangly limbs, I found it easier to have a slightly androgynous side as alternative fashion wasn't that feminine anyway, but as I grew up it became something I embraced. I will say that I'm not very keen on any of the other traditional womanly pursuits though - cleaning, baking and so forth. But luckily, I don't need to be - thanks feminism! I do, however, take huge pleasure in creating a look of ultra-femininity for myself. Ironically, this has attracted a following of trans-women on Flickr - they all love vintage looks! It does occasionally cross my mind that they think I am just a particularly good transvestite though... ;)

Designing, and picking fabrics for my and Heyday's range of Fleur dresses is a terrible, horrible job. I know you all pity me deeply! But we do try to cater for everyone - we've done everything from huge florals, to relatively plain versions so far, and we definitely intend to do more graphic and novelty prints in the future to please those of you who don't worship chintz as I do. But the latest limited-edition version is definitely something for the real girly-girls.


Presenting the Ditsy Lilac Fleur! We ran across a tiny amount of this floral fabric in a shop and couldn't resist turning it into a tiny run of frocks. The background is a pale pinkish-lilac, scattered with blossoms and blooms in deeper mauves, pale blue, teal and cream. It's pure polished cotton with a gorgeous sheen, so it's lovely for parties as well as every day wear. I've worn matching earrings here, but it looks smashing paired with cream celluloid jewellery! Revlon's Cherries in the Snow lipstick and nail varnish are also a fabulous complement - better than red, I think.



Pockets on this one so you can store all your spare bobby pins and tissues... don't be like me every...single...time and forget to check them before you wash it! ;)


The button is another vintage special from Shona's stash - a lovely pearlised rose.


I'm wearing mine with Rocket Originals Nancys, they're the perfect every day shoe, especially when you've done your knee in, as I have...

Now for the salesy bit... we have only FOUR of these dresses - two medium, one large and one extra-large (I nabbed the small!). Since we sell a lot of frocks to the US and Australia, the chances of seeing someone else in one are as slim as a minty Vogue. The Classic Fruits sold out in less than 12 hours, and we're positive there are plenty of other girly girls out there who'll be all over this, floral delight so if you want one, then do be quick and grab one now!


Yours in unabashed girliness,

Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment