Catch-up time again!

This week has passed me by, rather! I'm not sure why, because I haven't been all that busy, except for my day in London to see The 39 Steps, as mentioned in my last post. I have to say that it was utterly fabulous! I haven't seen the Hitchcock film, and my chap was rather dubious, to say the least, about it being turned into a comedy. But it really is very funny, and not in a disrespectful-to-the-original-way. It's slightly slapstick, but not overtly. All I can really say is that you absolutely MUST see it - if not here in London, then at one of the many productions around the world!

Anyway, last weekend, I had the pleasure of attending White Mischief at the Scala. It was a veritable steampunk extravaganza, with acts and attendees alike all conforming in various degrees to the rather fabulous neo-Victorian theme. Some photographs of the night...


We saw the fabulous Voltini turning himself into a human Van Der Graff machine with a probe up his bottom...


...Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer doing his thing...


...and some well-dressed, steam-punked acquaintances.



Sadly the same couldn't be said for me! I did, of course, endeavour to dress my best, but nothing I own could conceivably be described as steampunk! I had neither the time, nor the imagination to customise anything. So here I am in my Able Grable Wicked Lady, with peach hand-knit bolero, gin & tonic, and a poster of the Scala's Special Easter Ball featuring DJ EZ!! OMG! ;)

I meant to post some of these photos on Tuesday, but with one thing and another, I just didn't have time! I also didn't get any photos of the fabulous outfits on display. Do have a look here if you'd like to see more (and better ones). You will be able to read my full review in the next Chap.

It's been an exciting week for my hair as well, because I am now the proud owner of my first ever perm! Prepare to be underwhelmed at the sight of it unstyled......



It was done using the largest rollers, giving it a barely discernable wave. What it has done, though, is give me a good starting wave (especially at the top), body at the roots and more fullness throughout. That in itself is worth it. But, let me tell you, it's actually the best thing I've ever done for my hair! And here's the proof! I set it in my usual way using Hot Sticks (if you watch the first few seconds of the video, you can see how my hair looks unstyled AND unpermed), to go to London on Tuesday morning. They were in about 30 minutes or so, and while in town, I got drizzled on and windblown - the kiss of death for heat-styled hair, usually. Even my cold-set hair wouldn't stand up to it very well! However... as of this afternoon (Thursday), and another long walk in damp air, my hair is still looking pretty blooming good (considering). Again, you may be underwhelmed, but bear with me...



It may have lost its fullness at the ends, but they are STILL curled under! The left side has a really nice shape, and the right side wave at my face (which you can't see very well) is also still good. This, good readers, is unheard of, for my hair, three days afer a quick hot roller set, with no restyling apart from brushing.



...and then the wind really did give a big gust and ruin it! ;)

Happy Easter readers!
Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com

PS. I should have put this in the post - after two people asked separately... I had it done at an old lady salon in a small village near where my parents live. I really think these are the places to go as they do them day in and day out, and they are cheap too (£15 for a cut, £50 for the perm!). I really think there's nothing to be afraid of, with the large rollers, you're never going to get a poodle perm or Keegan-eque 'beans on toast' do. My hair has always been slightly frizzy from all the dying and styling over the years, but the perm's not made any noticeable difference to the texture (of the individual strands) or dryness. If anyone's in any doubt, don't be - go for it! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment