V.I. Buys - Peasant Style

Thanks to the fabulous Casey of Casey's Elegant Musings, I was just reminded to tell those British gals who read my blog about the wonderful array of 40s-inspired peasant tops that have appeared on the high street in the last week or so. (If you're a fan of the 40s peasant look, go and check out Casey's post for some wonderful eye-candy!)

I was idly browsing around New Look on Thursday night when I came across this cute example in the sale:
Only £10.00 at New Look now!

It's much more blousey in the flesh, and I wore it out on Friday night with my navy blue trousers with red buttons and it looked so 40s (I thought)! And it was perfect for dancing in. A quick browse around the site has thrown up a few more, similar tops, like this, which comes in several colours. And they have a plain one, also in several colourways, in organic cotton. I am going to have to go back for this one to wear with a 'skirt' I have... (more on this later!) I'm imagining it tucked in, of course:

I also got a black one with red and green embroidery from Primark... yes I know. I had an attack of guilt on the way home for even going in there. I might take it back, I'm not sure. Thoughts? They have supposedly improved their ethics... but I still feel guilty.

On a more positive note, I had a sort of epiphany while reading Casey's post, because I have this 'skirt', which I bought as a dress, could very well be made out of the Hollywood pattern in her peasant pattern collage. It looks like this:


Photo by John Evans
Now this 'dress' was fine to wear for a shoot, but I had to pin it to my bra as the bodice is very strangely constructed. The back extends into long sash pieces, which I crossed over and then tied around my waist. But it would not stay up, and it could not be tied in such a way as to make it stay up, at all. There would be no chance a woman could walk around in it without quickly becoming indecent!

However, I did wear it last summer as a skirt - with the 'bodice' folded down into the sash and tied in a big bow, and it was the absolute spitting image of the skirt in Casey's collage. But
I am still a bit confused by it, because if it isn't meant to be worn as a dress, why is it shaped like that? Anyway... as I was saying, a white gypsy/peasant style top will be perfect with this 'skirt' in the summer, I paired with with a yellow one last time, and although it has yellow in the swirls, the overall effect was rather... loud. ;)

That's all for now!

Fleur xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment