Vintage London - Guided Walks with Russell Nash

A couple of weeks ago, I went on a walking tour given by a friend of mine, Russell Nash (or Guide Russell as he is known professionally). It was fab. I realise I might be slightly biased but really and truly, it was fascinating and I want to recommend it to everyone, tourist and resident, as a brilliant way to learn a little bit about London's past. This one was called The Men Who Made Menswear and it took us around the streets of Mayfair, up St James's and through Savile Row and Jermyn Street, learning all about the chaps who blazed trails through the fashion history of the capital. My old pal Edward VII, his later namesake Edward VIII, Beau Brummell and Henry Poole were all mentioned, as well as more modern names like Tommy Nutter. The walk ended in Covent Garden and did leave me wanting to learn even more!

Here are some pictures.


Russell himself!














Russell knows his stuff and has a real way with words - full of energy and passion for the history. He is  genuinely brilliant. I always get people emailing me to ask about non-obvious things to do in London and if you want an alternative to the usual Ripper walks (admittedly I do really want to do one) or tourist tours, then this is a great choice.

The Men Who Made Menswear tour is happening again on June 9th (my birthday!), and this weekend Russell is doing one this very Saturday 27th April called Icons of St James's. They're very reasonably priced for the couple of hours of fascination you get for the money. Have a look on Facebook or Guide Russell to find out more and let me know if you go along!

Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com






0 comments:

Post a Comment