Things & Stuff, Stuff & Things

I have absolutely nothing of value to say today (do I ever?), so instead, here are some photos of stuff I have done, and things I have worn recently.*

Firstly, a trip to the Churchill War Rooms to visit Jeni Yesterday on a hot Friday afternoon.
"Hello, is that Norris McWhirter? What's the biggest leaf?"

Here's Gemma Bake do & Mend and I playing silly buggers with a very serious military mannequin (and the amazing Bakelite pyramid phones). I'm wearing a cheap top from high street shop Primark (because it was sweltering hot and I saw no reason to sweat into genuine vintage to make a point...more on this later) and a pair of high waisted shorts from Vivien of Holloway. I was also wearing red and white Rocket Originals, and red, white and blue bangles. This colour scheme was chosen because earlier in the day I posed for a photo for the street party I'm attending on Friday (Facebook event link), which made it onto the front page of the South London Press! Hurrah!


Jeni had some fun with another chap who had terrible teeth... how stereotypically British!


Also earlier that day, I went to a proper running shop to buy myself some proper running shoes. This is the type of shop where they watch you run and assess what kind of corrective footwear you need (if any). So I jogged up and down the pavement in the above ensemble! After 8 years of yoga (during which I've tried to get as much movement into my joints as possible), it turns out... I have a lot of movement in my joints! Particularly my hips. Running in inadequate shoes was making my knee and my hips a bit sore... not good. But I now have some snazzy new runners... which may possibly be the most hideous things I have ever worn on my feet! But they feel amazing (and my joints have improved), and that's what counts. The training is going quite well if anyone is interested! I'm up to 4.5 miles comfortably(ish) with three months to go. I've also entered my first event - a 5km run around some bluebell woods on the 15th May. Wish me luck! I have stuck to my (pointless) principles of looking retro while running, shoes aside of course!

My somewhat skimpy shorts are American Apparel and the tee is just a cheap high street one. You really don't want to see the shoes... you might experience some dangerously extreme jealousy, and they are some seriously expensive shoes! It's for your own good...

And finally, last Saturday I took Jeni to the wilds of the Home Counties, to visit the hair salon I use. They do cheap and lovely haircuts, and bargainous, effective perms. I got the former, and she got the latter. I'm wearing my equally bargainous lilac wrap dress again. Eagle eyed readers will see Jeni has the same top as I am wearing in the previous post. What a faker she is in her modern clothing...



Why am I being so snarky? Well, I was anonymously vilified through a blog comment recently, for not wearing enough authentic vintage clothing and yet daring to claim myself a vintage girl. So I've decided to try a bit harder. Here I am in a piece of genuine, GENUINE 1990s vintage! It says 'Gold, Girls and Glory' on it, which sums me up perfectly. The jacket is from the 1940s, but don't let that ruin your day! I believe the catchphase is, 'Haters gon' hate'... and to anonymous haters I say: may your supercilious 1940s knickers chafe your bits and your dry cleaning bills ruin you!









Oh, how disappointing: more repro. My AMAZING fan skirt is from my awesome sponsor Pinup Parade, and the shoes are Remix. For the record, although I love to (attempt to) look like I've stepped out of the past, and do this every single day of my life, wearing repro, vintage inspired, and genuine vintage from the 'wrong' era doesn't bother me a jot. And neither should it you... unless you're a total mental. But having said that, not that it matters, but you'll be seeing more vintage on here throughout the summer, because although winter wear is difficult for me due to my height and allergy to paying for dry cleaning; I have dozens of vintage summer frocks. So I'll be wearing them. Well, and repro. And modern things. Who cares! ;)

Hope you are all having a lovely week. Even you!

Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com

* More to say came to me as I was writing, obvs. 

PS. In case this descends into more accusations of snobbery or elitism or double standards or anything like that, let me just say that my viewpoint is as it always has been: while I still dislike people wearing silly vintage pastiches as fancy dress costumes, I love and appreciate anyone who is brave, bold and who has fun with their style. Whether that's high fashion, goth, hip hop, punks, whatever. Wear what you like and do it with pride! I just have a phobia of bland and a dislike of my favourite style being done as a joke. But even that I am softening on, because what harm does it do, really. Get me, being all magnanimous in me old age... I'll be advocating stick-on 'taches for men next. NOT REALLY.

0 comments:

Post a Comment