A frock fit for a Queen

Unless you've been living on Mars for the last year, you'll know that next Friday is the big, exciting EXTRA DAY OFF! I mean...ahem... it's the Royal Wedding! Thousands of people, who don't really give a monkeys about Prince Wills and Kate will be using it as an excuse to have a street party, drink Pimm's and eat cake; and I am no exception. I mean, I am fairly ambiguous about the existence of the Royal Family. I'm not a dedicated monarchist by any means, but I do think they are a big part of our history and culture; and I hope they stick around for many generations to come. Equally, I have not really bought into the wedding fever, though I will confess I have bought one piece of Royal Wedding memorabilia... a Tiffany blue/green tin of shortbread from Marks and Sparks which features tasteful Victorian-style silhouettes of the couple. But mainly, if I'm honest; I just like any excuse to wear a patriotic red, white and blue ensemble and raise a glass or tea cup full of gin to... anyone. And in this case, it's the aforementioned Wills and Kate.

The event I shall be gracing with my presence is this one:


It's being put on by some friends of mine, and, as you can see, they have asked me to 'appear' at it. Though, in reality, this just means I'll be there and might do something like hand out the Best Cake Prize or some such trifle... I'm mainly just there to have a jolly good time.

But since this is mainly a vintage style blog, let me tell you what I'll be wearing... which will both plug this smashing new frock, and give me the opportunity to show off some new modelling pictures... I do like to multi-task!

As you all know by now, I teamed up with Heyday to produce a self-titled wrap dress called the Fleur. It's had a couple of incarnations so far, but this one may very well be my favourite as it's so versatile, not to mention in one of my most beloved colour-schemes. 


The red, white and blue Fleur is the perfect patriotic frock (if you're one of the lucky nations that have this colour on their flags)! It's absolutely ideal for wearing to Royal Wedding celebrations, the Diamond Jubilee, Liberation Day in the Channel Islands, Independence Day on the 4th of July, Victoire 1945 in France, Victoria Day in Canada, the Queen's Birthday in the Antipodes... well you get the point. Even if these aren't your country's colours, it's the perfect 1940s combination and looks absolutely super with matching accessories!

Shoes are by Rocket Originals, and the hat belongs to the photographer... sadly!

 
These fabulous (I hope you'll agree) photos were shot by the incredible Gordon Ayres, a chap who is famous and much in demand in the vintage and reenacting world. He uses only proper old cameras, with proper film, and the results are vintage-perfect. The shoot was done at Taymount Grange, a 1930s Art Deco former tennis retreat, and home to one of my best friends, fellow VM girl and blogger Gemma (as well as a very bold and photogenic tortie cat called Lizzie)! We could not have dreamed of a more perfect location. And goodness me do I want to live there now!




We had such fun, and 1930s glamour girl Gemma, the gorgeous blonde bombshell Claire and fiery redhead Shona had such fun being snapped by Gordon on a beautiful sunny day. I think these pictures show how these Fleur wrap dresses can be made to suit your chosen era with the right accessories and hairstyles. On Gem the Daisy on Black looks 30s, and on Claire the English Rose on Black looks mid-late 50s! Go and have a look on the Heyday site for more shots of the girls (and more of me, if you aren't bored of my mug already)! Anyway, as you can tell, I'm just as enthusiastic as ever about these fantastic frocks, and I hope you love the new version as much as me. As always, they are limited edition and once they are gone, they won't be repeated... so go and grab your now and if you're in the UK, wear it next Friday with patriotic (or just plain vintage) pride.


I leave you with the whole gang in our best catalogue poses, modelling the whole Fleur range. See you next time!

Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment