How do I love thee, House Dress

Since I have nothing constructive to say today (I have done some things, but the photographic evidence is still forthcoming), I thought it was time for a plain and simple outfit post.

Now, as many of you know, I do love a house dress. Swirls are my favourite, yes, but there's plenty of room in my heart for frocks that wrap around the front instead of the back. Essentially, I just love a wrap - they're easy to wear, flattering and you just can't really go far wrong buying them online. Even if the seller has got the measurements out by several inches, there's always leeway. I could live in wrap dresses. If it didn't mean catching hypothermia from September to April, of course.

But a wee while ago, Miss Matilda of Able Grable fame got in touch to tell me about her new wrap house dress design. Would I like her to send me one, she asked. Err... let me think, I replied. Do bears relieve themselves in tree-rich environments? Unfortunately, though I have worn it approximately eleventy thousand times since then, this is the first time I've had it captured on camera. Because that weekend was the first time it was warm enough to actually wear it out of the house! Et voila!



So here it is, the Ready Hedy floral house dress! It's made from an authentic-feeling rayon, with a very 40s-looking rose print. It wraps with an internal tie and closes with a hook-and-eye, the belt is separate so you can tie it wherever you like. It even has a cute patch pocket over the right hip. So all in all, pretty much my perfect dress!

Something I learned while having these photos taken is this: It's hard to get a flattering angle for your legs when in flat shoes. I hardly ever wear flats, because I'm quite paranoid about my wide calves, which at least look slimmer in wedges and heels. I can just about cope with them in real life, but on camera they looked worse. If a lens adds 10lbs, I'm sure it's all on my lower legs!



I wore the Ready Hedy with my peach Dixabilly bolero, and aforementioned flat sandals, which I do actually love, and come from Schuh. They can't really be described as repro, but they have a vintage-esque quality. As the Vintage Baroness established, flat gladiator sandals were popular in the 30s, and the woven front and straps definitely remind me of other 40s sandals, even if they might have had a heel or wedge.

I finished the outfit with my Dead Men's Spex sunnies (wrong era...don't care!) and some peach rose vintage earrings. Oh, and a Hedy type hairdo in tribute, not as well brushed as it might have been... oh well!

Hope you have all had lovely weeks, and, if you're in the UK, that you went out and voted today.

Toodle pip!

Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment