Two very different visual treats

Hands up, who reads comics? I know I do. I have written in this blog before about being a not-so-secret nerd. I've even been to San Diego Comic-Con, twice! I haven't been since 2006 though, boo. Last time, I met Jonathan Ross and Dita von Teese! (Prepare yourself for old and unflattering pictures!


(I'm not showing the Dita one any bigger...I look hideous!)

But, I digress. The reason for me going (although I was into comics anyway) was that my ex-OH and now good friend is comic artist Jamie McKelvie. Now I may be a bit biased, but he is truly a top-notch artist, who has produced some stunning work over the last couple of years. He's probably best known for being the co-creator of Phonogram, a series based on the idea of "music is magic". Or “Hellblazer meets High Fidelity”, if you prefer. The new series will be coming out in the near future. It will look like this:


You should check it out! Not least because I have demanded to be drawn into a crowd scene. ;)

Here's the mini-comic that debuted at SDCC.



Something else worth checking out is Suburban Glamour, which is an urban fairytale that anyone who has been an 'alternative' teenager in a small town will identify with. It's full of beautiful art like this:



So anyway, none of this has anything to do with vintage, so I thought I would share a couple of pictures of my oh-so-glamorous grandparents, from the 1940s.

Both were taken when my grandad was called to Buckingham Palace to receive medals for his services in WWII.


Wasn't she so gorgeous! I want those shoes too. This was taken in 1945, when my grandad was finally released from POW camp, where he spend two and a half long years.


This was in 1949. The cute kid is my mum! She told me she can still remember her velvet-collared coat because she thought it was the best thing since sliced bread! I would agree! :D

So, there are my two very different visual treats. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment