Winter footwear & a final party plug

I sometimes curse my parents for feeding me so much fluoride and calcium as a child. While it's lovely to be strapping, strong and healthy, I never had any chance of having lovely, dainty feet. If I'd been around in the 1940s, aside from all the other drawbacks mentioned in my earlier post, I'd have been forced to wear men's shoes. It's most unlikely that I'd have been able to afford custom-made ones anyway! So I rely on vintage inspired and repro shoes, of which there are many. Luckily! But it still makes me shed a tear when I see such amazing, original shoes as these...




These CC41, sheepskin-lined, black suede snow boots just sold on eBay for a shade over £100. Worth every penny, I'd say. They are utterly beautiful, don't you think? At size 4.5 (6.5US), there was no chance of me fitting them, even if I chopped off my toes (which I considered)!

Luckily, I was saved from further depression by the fact that I already own some rather smashing, and not entirely dissimilar shoes, made by those purveyors of gorgeous footwear, Miss L Fire.

These Ellison shoes manage to perfectly bridge the gap between 40s chic and old lady slippers, and I absolutely love mine, which are in the above tan colourway. They also come in black and grey... both of which I now want as well!
I bought them from Shudoo, but they can also be bought from ASOS, where they have styled them slightly differently. If you wear them with the sheepskin bit completely unfolded, they look remarkably similar to the original 1940s boots above. Hurrah!

I will admit these fashion shoes are not suitable footwear for those of you who live in places that get serious snow. Nor would I wear them here, if it snows heavily, as the weathermen have been threatening! But they are lovely and snug for when it's cold but dry. If it's icy underfoot, I also have a pair of these, from Clarks; which have a practical, crepe sole and look just as lovely! They are in the sale as well, for just £50 (as well as a couple of sizes in black).


This weekend, I am helping out at the '1940s Demob Ball' being held at posh old London Gentleman's club the Naval and Military (aka the In and Out), but it would be remiss of me not to tell any London-based vintage partygoers about the last Candlelight Club of the year.

Christmas by Candlelight is taking place at a secret location this Saturday 18th. Tickets cost £15.

For this you get:
 
• A free drink on arrival

• A quirky supper of exotic, Christmas-flavoured gourmet sandwiches, in our basement hideaway specially decorated for the occasion

• Live 1920s ragtime from ex-Royal Flying Corps heroes turned jazz messengers Albert Ball's Flying Aces (if you missed my Hallowe'en event, catch them here! -Fleur)




• Vintage shellac spun all evening by MC Fruity, London's premier vintage DJ

• Our Christmas present for you to take home: a free limited-edition CD of Candlelight Club 1920s music, cleverly fashioned to look just like an old 78 record—this 26-track album will only be available at this event

PLUS a mini bottle of SW4 gin, "The Gin of Champions". In effect, it's a pocket-sized version of the Club, to keep you company this Christmas.

 • A one-off menu of attractively priced Christmas cocktails created by Will Sprunt:

Mince Flip
Homemade mincemeat vodka, sherry, cream, nutmeg
Related to the Alexander cocktail, this concoction is basically Christmas in a glass
Chestnuts on an Open Fire
SW4 gin, Bowmore single malt whisky, chestnut syrup
A fruity, smoky, nutty short
Ginger Snap
Rum, advocaat, ginger beer, Boker's Bitters
Like a spicy Dark n' Stormy cocktail with an extra indulgent richness
Cherry Christmas
SW4 gin, cherry bitters, rosemary tincture, cranberry juice
Long and fruity with an aromatic perfumed twist
Mulled Sour
SW4 gin, port, cointreau, lemon juice, Boker's Bitters
Sweet and sour mulled-wine flavours in a chilled tongue-tingling extravaganza


Do pop along if you fancy it (tickets can be bought here), to support one of London's best and newest nights for vintage enthusiasts... I'm sad to miss it, but I'll be at the first one in the New Year!

Toodle-oo for now!


Fleur xx
DiaryofaVintageGirl.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment